March 29, 2016

The What and How of Godly Living

Parenting is hard. Being an adult is hard. Life is hard.  (But God is good!)

In the midst of dishes, dinners, bills and bedtime I feel a little like I've lost myself and I'm in a haze. Like I'm giving all I have and my very best and I'm falling painfully short.

And the one thing that I cut out for the sake of sleep, friend time and leisure is God.

I'm challenged and ready to make a fresh start. The baby is sleeping better and we are on the second night of the two year old staying in her room when we put her to bed so I feel less like I'm drowning.

Here is what I'm going to do or-

The What and How of Godly Living (for me!):

1. Scripture. Start my yearly reading plan (again...). I once calculated (and have tested and it has proven itself true) that only 15 minutes a day is all it takes to read your Bible in a year. FIFTEEN minutes! Can you imagine? I spend 15 minutes a day staring off into space. Here is the reading plan I am using- The Discipleship Journal Reading Plan.  Reading my Bible through in a year is so fruitful for me. I have many friends who don't benefit from it as much and prefer more in depth focused study but for me it is wonderful..

2. Memory Verses. I've jumped on this boat and slid off so many times it's not even funny. But it's not how many times you fall but how many times you get back up right? And momma didn't raise a quitter so here I am again. Here is the system I use. The Navigators Topical Memory System. Also, here is a really cool app you can use to help you that a friend showed me. I've used it minimally at best but hey.. it's fresh new day! The Verses App.

3. Prayer. An hour of prayer at 5 am five days a week for five weeks (#fives).  Starting April 1(but really). Read more about it here.
Dare I try this? Better yet, dare you try it with me?

4. Living Water. I read this little idea in a book I'm reading and it's simple and small if all else fails. Start your day off with a big glass of water while you take in the living water (the Word). See how that true hydration and one little step can change your life. I got this idea from this book If you Have a Craving I Have a Cure.

5. Leisure Later. I have recently done a social media fast which was GREAT but then I oddly binged on social media after (which is NOT the point... clearly...). So instead of completely banning it I'm trying a, " you can do it after" approach. I can scroll AFTER I've done all ofthe other things in this list.

The Why

The thing is I often make lists, or embark on new campaigns. I'm technically 'reading' my Bible and studying it. I've loved the current Bible study we are doing at church and all other venues we are involved in is good. But there is something VERY different about studying and seeking on your own apart from all other things/motivation. Ya know? Apart from "needing" to do to teach or lead.

The why is that this is a special season in my life. I'm sure we can all say that all of the time. But for me right now it's special and I aknowledge that. I'm not working. I have a supportive husband. I have the opportunity to impact and direct my children's lives in a very unique way right now. We are at a crux of making big life decisions (school, home etc... there are always big decisions to make!). I want above all for this time to be driven by Scripture and not social expectations etc.

That's the what and how (and why!). 

Now to do it!

2 comments:

Stace said...

I'm in! Thank you for posting this. I've used "this stage in my life" as an excuse long enough.

The Reeds said...

I'm so glad you're doing it with me Stacy! We can encourage one another!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...