June 4, 2015

Captivating Hearts and Sanctification

Raising children shows you the hidden condition of your heart.

I was telling my friend how I've had such a short fuse these past few months (which I blamed on pregnancy).

And now with a new baby I've equally had a short fuse... snapping at the children and my husband, spanking and being generally disagreeable and unpleasant etc.

It's shameful and painful to see yourself living out of reaction rather than out of wisdom and grace.

As we talked she wisely made the point that in the book of James it talks about bridling our tongues and how difficult this task is. Thank God for friends who point us to godly living!

She than asked me the difficult question of how I had been handling my tongue.

The answer? Not well. 

I've been cursing in my heart and head and occasionally otherwise like a stay at home sailor.

"Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?"- James 3:11


Friends may not see how much my tongue is out of control because so much of it has been in my heart and head.

This made me think about where my words come from (my heart and mind) ... and that is the problem.

2 Corinthians 10:5 says, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

What if no one hears my tongue rage? What if no one hears my thoughts as I bash someone's idea or actions? Is it still a sin?

Yes it is.

And I have to confess that I have not been taking every thought captive.

I have let the angry ones run free and the bitter ones sit and fester. 

I have let frustration run like a fox with his tail on fire through the dry brambles of my mind and heart setting every little nerve ending ablaze.

The occasional angry word or expletive a physical proof bubbling to the surface of the messy pit beneath.

What a great reminder!

What beauty and grace in accountability and new starts! 

(Can I get an amen?)

I encourage you to join me in taking every thought, lie, temptation and belief captive for the glory of God. 

Challenge those thoughts and feelings with the pure unadulterated Gospel and let's watch them grow dim as He grows bigger in our hearts and minds.

Peace out friends,
Georgia 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...