May 28, 2015

Parenting Advice for When Your World is Out of Control

I recently heard a quote about a man with 12 theories on parenting and no kids who then has 12 kids and no theories.

I find that to be true.

The people I know who have the most (and most well behaved) kids tend to give the least advice. They seem to understand that every child is different and unique as are circumstances and that just perhaps, if you're doing it well enough people will ask what your secret is.

So as my belly grew and grew so did my children's flare for disobedience...
When we brought home our precious little bundle even our visiting family was shocked by the display of disobedience by our lovely offspring.

So I wrote two friends with many kids who have been down this road.

Both of them gave the same advice that I wanted to share here.. Not because it's my wisdom but because frankly, I'd like to remember this for down the road.

They both said...

1.) it's normal.  All kids go through some form of this whether it's reversion in eating, sleeping, potty training or behavior.

2.) this too shall pass. It may last a few weeks or a few months but it will pass.

3.) you have to stay consistent.

4.) it's a desperate cry for attention. Ignore the bad as much as you can (because that gives them the attention they want) and praise, praise, praise the good.

I immediately tried to transition into this, especially praising the good and finding reasons to have quality time with each child and wouldn't you know it helped.

I'm far from out of the woods but it's a start.


2 comments:

The Kowals said...

What wisdom G. Please remind me of this come the end of summer

The Reeds said...

Oh man Amanda.. let's remind each other!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...