November 21, 2013

The Bumbling Vegan: Improved Moroccan Soup

Hi guys,
Today we had gorgeous weather so we got out to grab some vitamin D.
"My eyes!"- Claire insists on wearing her sunglasses upside down. Yet another insanely cute thing.
 Last night went well.  Though it wasn't very "vegan"....

Look who helped me cook:
Too cute! Sophie is so much fun and so laid back. Claire was also helping as you can see from the background.

Bumbling Vegan

Why bumbling? 

To start with, my soup had chicken broth in it again. Doh! I just couldn't bring myself to make a store run with two little ones for some broth and I also couldn't bring myself to make my own.

But it tasted.. wonderful (If I do say so myself)! I made some changes that I *think* made it taste much better for our family and will share them below.

Also, I had my wonderful husband make some tilapia.

We had Moroccan Lentil Soup, steamed broccoli, tilapia (not for me), baked sweet potatoes and our company brought some yummy garlic bread (I passed). For dessert we had some beautiful fresh fruit and berries. Claire was in berry heaven.

That girl can eat berries like nothing you've ever seen!

This was the first time since Sophie's been born that I set my table...
 I knew it had been a long time when Claire looked at the table cloth like, "What in the world?!"

Breakfast

Breakfast was quick bowl of chai oatmeal. I didn't have a banana and added a scoop of sun butter after the photo was taken. Without the adornment of a 'nanner it doesn't look as great as it tastes.

Lunch

Lots of left overs but the prep still takes a bit longer.


Our first foray into "ants on a log". Claire loved them. She won't normally eat celery so this was a victory.

(I substituted sun butter for peanut butter).

For lunch today I made some Lentil Pear Salad.

Not gonna lie.. I had serious doubts about this recipe. And even putting it together I wasn't so sure...

But if I've learned anything over the years it's that being picky is for the birds. I am grateful for the selection of food we have here.

So.. I ate it.

And....

It was good! I'm really surprised. The old me (pre-travel) would have passed politely. I'm glad I didn't.

Side note: I was crazy picky growing up. I wouldn't eat most things... On my "no" eat list: yogurt, apricots, peaches, pears, tomatoes, most meats, blueberries, bell peppers, sushi, any cheese other than "American",  and much much more. Ridiculous right? 

I didn't like it if it was furry, squishy, juicy or unusual in any way. 

Improved Moroccan Soup 

*Modified from the Happy Herbivore's 3 Day Sample Meal Plean
It may not look like much, but I promise- this soup is easy and super tasty.
I made some adjustments to the original recipe since we thought it was a little too spicy for our tastes and especially for a toddler. Now, it's mild with a hint of sweet.

Enjoy!

1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or whatever broth you prefer)
1 cup red lentils (uncooked)
14 oz. diced tomatoes (canned)* I used crushed and they were great
1 cup carrots, sliced (about 4 regular carrots)
1 cup celery stalks, sliced
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp mild curry powder

Line a medium pot with a thing layer of water. Over high heat, saute onions and garlic until water has absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Continue to cook for 15 minutes, or until lentils are fully cooked (they have expanded and are orange). Add salt to taste. Transfer half of soup to a mixer and puree until smooth. Return to pot and mix with remaining soup. Turn off heat, cover and let rest 5-10 minutes, allowing flavors to merge before serving.

Per serving: 281 calories, 1.5g fat
--------------------------------------------
I had fresh cilantro over my mine and it was a wonderful addition. If you are having dairy sour cream or yogurt would be great on top.

Today Claire even ate some in exchange for more raisins. In toddler-ville I call that a HUGE success. Lentils haven't been a usual thing on our menu so for her to venture out is a big deal!

Months of broccoli battles do pay off dear mommy friends!

So far I've gotten some great advice from you guys. I am open to any new recipes and tidbits of advice!

Have you ever made any big dietary changes?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...