November 20, 2013

How to Make Easy Baked Potatoes for a Crowd (Ten Plus)

Last night I prepared baked potatoes for sixteen people and I did it in a new way.

Usually I do the old stand by of wrapping each spud in foil after slathering in olive oil, sprinkling with salt, and puncturing. I bake some in the oven and some in the crock pot and then keep them in a big cooler that I preheat with hot water (dump the water out before putting the taters in).

I recently read that foil can harbor bacteria and make the skins soft. Ew.

I'm always up for something new so this is the new way I tried. I hope you like it! They were very yummy.

Here's how...

Easy Baked Potatoes for a Crowd

1.Preheat your oven to 400.
2. Scrub your potatoes.
3. Puncture them three times on each side with a fork.
4. Spray them with Pam (or you can use olive oil).
5. Pour a generous helping of salt on a plate and roll each potato in salt.
6. Line the potatoes on trays allowing one inch between each potato. I covered my trays with foil for easy clean up.
7. Bake the potatoes for about 2 hours or until done, rotating intermittently.
8. My potatoes kept warm for about an hour and a half in my crock pot stoneware and in a dutch oven on my counter top.

The Good and Bad

Good:
-easy (all cooked in one place)
-bake more potatoes all at once
-fast (the crock pot takes 3-5 hours and doesn't hold as many potatoes)
-crispy, salty skins. Yum!

Bad:
-I punctured a few skins rotating them
-starchy, steam remnants in your oven (if you care about such things)

2 comments:

Jennifer Mykytiuk said...

Oh dear! This would be a difficult to do if you've been eating normal. I eat vegetarian most meals. I eat a lot of beans and lentils. I love quinoa. When I needed to lower my cholesterol I just cut the processed foods, refried beans, etc. and started eating more veggies. I think this is awesome and you can totally do it! Think about when you gave up dairy for Claire. You totally did it! So excited to hear and if I have any easy food ideas I hear about I will pass them your way. Have you tried tempeh? I was eating it with marinara sauce on my veggies for lunches last year. It's super cheap and a little goes a long way. I don't think it takes bad either!

The Reeds said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't tried tempeh.. I'm a little scared of it... :/ But I would love any recipes and advice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...