November 20, 2013

Hitting the Wall: Vegan Style

Hi guys,
Last night I hit a wall. I was doing fine- and then we had our church group over. I fed about 16 people and felt really clever because I did baked potatoes. Vegan- yet not noticable. 

Clever, right?

"This is a piece of cake!" I thought... And before I knew it was scooping heaving helpings of pulled BBQ pork (that smelt so good) on to my potato. I barely realized it soon enough! 

And after that? Well... All of the cheese, butter, sour cream I saw on everyone's spuds- I hit a "wall".

I almost cried thinking of all of the buttercream icing I will be missing out on in the next six months! I wish I were kidding... but I seriously almost cried after everyone went to bed. 

I would like to reiterate. I  do not want to "be vegan".  But.. I really don't want to be on medication in my 30's for cholesterol. Maybe I could call the blog "The Unwilling Vegan"? :)

My mind started toying with my emotions (or vice versa).

Then, I put on my big girl panties.

So far I have found that being vegan is:
-delicious! 
-filling
-diverse

In the end, I made it out unscathed. But barely! Here's how today looked.

Breakfast



For breakfast I made Berry Berry Quinoa according to my 3 Day Meal Plan.  I'm not going to lie- after my slump last night I had major doubts...

I've never cooked quinoa before and wasn't even sure it was done. But surprisingly, it was GREAT.

I mean, fresh berries, honey and cinnamon? What wouldn't taste good with that on it?

 Lunch

Lunch was supposed to be something else but I have had so much left over from my first meals that I wanted to take advantage. I had left over baked potato from last night, potato taco, white bean smash (surprisingly good with the tasty guacamole and red peppers) and an assortment of other things.

The Good and Bad

Good:
-I am eating a greater assortment of vegetables and fruits
-Claire is seeing me eat these and having them on her plate too
-Claire is tasting and eating some of them
-Saving money on meat and cheeses (and let's be honest- sweets...)

Bad:
-  The cost of produce
-My meals take some time to prepare
-I don't have an easy meal list in my head to pull from
-I really like to eat with Claire and to have her sit down and eat the same foods we eat and at the same time. But I don't want to make her only eat vegan so we're eating slightly different things and it takes longer (my quinoa took 15 minutes this morning... in toddler breakfast world that's a long time!)

Last month the doctor told me I was Vitamin D deficient so I told Claire to get ready to go outside.  The pic on the left is her "ready". She kept saying, "Just a sec..." 

 I love her!

The right is me meditating on God's word while she played.  We've been reading "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life" in our church group and it's a great book I'd highly recommend. In one chapter he talked about the discipline of praying through scripture after meditating on what it means.


Today I though deeply on this verse:

 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." 

-Philippians 4:8 NIV* 
(emphasis mine)

and prayed through it.

I can get down from time to time thinking about the type of world we live in, how I'm parenting (am I being gracious? Kind? Am I teaching her what I should? Will she love me? How can I make a difference in this world?). 

This was a great reminder that my worth isn't in how I parent or anything I even accomplish in this life or anything in this world. My worth is in the Lord. And he doesn't want us to dwell on negative things.

 The quiet time with the Lord was well needed.

 I highly recommend it.

Tonight we're having company over and I'm trying to figure out what to make that is Vegan, toddler friendly, and out of my pantry. We shall see how that goes!

I regularly prepare a meal for our church group that comes over once a week. Last night I tried baked potatoes in a new way and will share how later.

Hasta luego friends~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...