July 29, 2013

Sophie

You were just fussy for an hour.

At last your breathing is measured and you rest against my chest. I breathe in your head and feel your baby hair against my nose.

The light from the tv flickers and I dare not move.

You've been suckling for the last hour, warm and focused until you fell into this even breathing sleep.

And I don't want to get up.

I never want to move.

I want to stay here with you as I breathe you in.

I don't know if it's normal and I don't care... but I already miss you. I already imagine you moving away someday. First in independence- emotionally, and then physically.

I love you fiercely.

A love I can't even understand.

I marvel that you came from me. I kiss your soft warm head.

Did you actually come from me?

I replay your birth- the rainbow outside the window- the blinding fiery pain that is more worth it than any other pain I've ever known.

They said you were here as I was feeling the loss of hope that pushing would ever bear any fruit and then there you are.

The greatest fruit imaginable. Soft, red, warm and alive.

My child.

My Sophie.

And I never want this moment to end.

4 comments:

Merissa said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations!

The Reeds said...

Thanks Merissa!

The Kowals said...

Georgia... I love.

The Reeds said...

Thanks Amanda. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...