January 10, 2012

Not So Minestrone- Minestrone

minestrone- a thick soup containing vegetables and pasta.

Here's what we've been eating in these parts.

Minestrone Soup



1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves, garlic, minced
2 ribs celery
2 zucchini, chopped
2 yellow squash, chopped
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Combine  all but beans and parsley into a crock pot/pot and cook low 6-8 hours. Add beans and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Heat for about ten minutes and serve.

~250 calories per serving

*I realized after getting home that I had already used my zucchini (eek!) and the market was out of squash... I added in peas and green beans, and doubled my celery and carrots. The joy of minestrone is that .. you CAN do whatever pleases you. I didn't even slice my mushrooms. And you know what? It tasted great.

Note no pasta for a healthier variety. 


If you are strapped for time (teachers!) look what you can use....

Pre-cut, frozen veggies for stews and soups. Throw those babies in with some broth and crushed tomatoes and voila- you've got yourself a meal!

4 comments:

lfhcreative said...

Yum! Soup is by far my favorite food group. I'll have to add this to my list of ones to try. :)

The Reeds said...

I hope you like it! We've been living on soup lately!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, this was really useful. thanks!

Texas Morgan said...

Hey Georgia! Thanks for your comment on our house blog! Thankfully we're moving right along...hope to be in sometime in January. :) I love your crockpot meal ideas on your blog--David and I are trying out the minestrone tonight! Mary's been super-clingy anytime I try to cook, so hopefully this will minimize our frustration in the kitchen until she gets past this phase!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...