December 21, 2011

What Do You Do When Grief Comes Knocking?

What do you do?

When the wind is knocked out of you... And you can barely think?

Your mind goes numb. And all of the useless and pointless crap you fill your every day with disintegrates into nothing.

When what really matters is jeopardized.

People matter.

Relationships matter.

When someone you know is hurt or hurting, what do you do?

Grief must come knocking. No man lives forever (at least here on earth). We are all mortal, breaths of wind, flowers here today and gone tomorrow as the Bible tells us.

Sobering isn't it?

 It should be.

Everyone that we love and value.. ourselves included.. we're all just mists that will vanish.

Yet still I manage to get my priorities out of wack. To put mopping my kitchen floors over spending time with people. Why?

But we are all guaranteed this: we will have troubles. We will have sorrows.

So the question remains: What do you do when grief comes knocking?

The e-mail was bold and fresh titled "Sad News" and my heart dropped.

Each word like a led bolt I had to swallow.

My mind whispering again and again, "Let it not be Lord."

But grief has come knocking along with sad news. Death. None of us are immune.

My heart is bobbing in a turbulent sea of confusion. Sadness and hurt. Helplessness for those I love. And we have all been there- it is part of being human.

But what do you do?

All else slips away and I cling and cry out to God. Jesus alone can comfort and guide.

And the greatest grief of all is that so many don't know the great comfort that can be found, in falling, broken and helpless before Him.

Still hurting.

Still in a world that is broken.

Death still comes.

Grief still knocks.


But he offers a balm to calm the sting.

But you can't come once.. and be healed of the pain, sadness and grief.

It is a process.. again.. again.. again you must come.

At the end of the day, we must look up.. We must look forward. We must move on.

I pray.

Please pray for our dear friends in Kaabong as they deal with personal tragedy.

In memory of sweet little Lonya

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Georgia,
I am so sorry for your grief. My mind imagines someday living back in the US and hearing "sad news" from here, so far away that the reality is almost surreal and yet the pain isn't. That's what I imagine anyway. I pray The Comforter will be strong with you in these days and with those in Kaabong. If you feel like sharing what happened, feel free, but I imagine you don't as you didn't. Love, Laura

Ronnie said...

Saying a prayer for you guys! It is so hard and so sad...Rest in the arms of the One who Comforts!

The Reeds said...

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...