September 28, 2011

Operation Nappy: One mother's bland breastfeeding diet quest

Hello friends!

To start with a nappy is what a diaper is called in the U.K. A big ol' ugly diaper.

Let's get one thing straight: This blog is NO place for perfectionists. If I keep waiting to get posts on here the way I want them to be... well.. I will never post! And I personally love being able to look back and see where we've been.

So here's my current update... Our little bambino has had some weird poo going on. At four weeks she started having slimy mucousy poos and was very fussy and gassy. One night I ate nuts and her little face got splotches all over it and she rubbed her eyes and screamed for quite a while.

I have a family history of food sensitivities.. as a matter of fact... it wasn't until I was married and said once I didn't want a banana because I didn't want my throat to itch and Jacob said... "Um.. you do know you're allergic don't you?"

Folks, the thought had never even crossed my mind!

As babies we were all three allergic. I was brought up on soy milk and my sister could have no formula and was allergic to eggs and dairy forever. My brother ended up with tubes in his ears from milk allergy..

Fast forward...

I've been off dairy for a month but nothing changed. I then cut out nuts, soy and still nothing. So now I'm going to a bland breastfeeding diet for a week to see if she improves.

This week I'm eating: rice, turkey, squash, sweet potatoes, pears and water. The only seasonings are olive oil and salt.

So far so good! And already I feel more alert. I hate to say it. If you know me you would know that I'm crazy about dairy! If I had to write a book about my life I would title it "CHEESE!" and I live off of chocolate and coffee.... But.. I do feel good. And little miss already has less goop in her diaper after one day... Coincidence? Maybe.. after four weeks of goop this is the first day of less goop...

Before the diet I was already struggling to get enough calories and calcium so my first ever foray into.. kale chips..

They're actually good! I just washed the kale, cut out the stems and tore them into chip sized pieces. I tossed them with olive oil and salt and baked them for about 20 minutes at 450.

*sigh*
Today was day one. Lots of rice, baked sweet potato, squash and winter squash tossed with olive oil and salt. Sooo good.


Breakfast is easy enough: Rice Chex mix and rice milk.
So how do I know I'm getting enough calories and my vitamins? I'll share that tomorrow on Operation nappy day two!

3 comments:

Brandon and April said...

you're such a great and dedicated mommy!!

The Reeds said...

Aw thanks!

Jay and Amy said...

I'm going to have to try Kale chips. Very interesting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...