August 3, 2011

Bobbing in a Sea of Baby Information

Disclaimer: A sleep deprived newbie mommy unleashes her mangled ideas and flashes her hippie card just for the sake of sharing. Read at your own risk and disregard as you see fit.

As I type this my baby is snug as a bug in a rug in our moby wrap. She is sleeping on my chest as I work and I almost feel pregnant again. It's so wonderful to feel so close and to see how much she enjoys it too.

No amount of info. can prepare you for any part of this baby process. Pregnancy walloped me upside the head. No two pregnancies are the same and now I completely understand that. Often I felt like I was bobbing in a turbulent ocean with bizarre things happening to me and I felt I was in water that few had swam in. I had bobbled out past the safe buoys and was in water where seaweed was wrapping around my legs and strange eels swam up against me. As I tried to describe these unseen things I often felt like people commiserated but couldn't quite "go there" with me.

And now onto the baby! Breastfeeding has already been more rewarding and more challenging than I could have imagined. As of 10pm tonight we'll be 3 weeks along. Me three weeks out from a very difficult labor, and my baby 3 weeks out of her safe little womb. Time has flown by...

And already a good night's sleep is a very very distant memory. I am constantly feeding and there are so many questions... Ideas swirl around: Baby Whisperer, Happiest Baby on the Block, and BabyWise just to name a few.. But now that I have this precious baby here I'm not as sure as I once was that I want to do any of these...

And ironically, I find that Karamoja comes to mind often. While there it was easy to be blinded by the needs and deficiencies. But now I see so much of their wisdom that has been passed down.. How wonderful most of them are at breastfeeding, at pacifying their newborns and keeping them mostly always on them. No diaper rash, because there are no diapers.

At first our western sensibilities are shocked... a baby that poops on its mom's skirts or urinates all over himself. But now, on this other end- it kinda all makes sense... These diapers are the biggest difficulty ever. I wish I could sit outside on the grass and let my baby just "go" whenever she wants. Because quite frankly, her favorite activity aside from playing with my breast like it's her breastbestfriend, is filling a freshly placed diaper OR rather, immediately upon having a diaper removed, "going" just for kicks and giggles.

So I'm figuring it out from our perspective. When our baby cries- I pick her up. When she is hungry I feed her. I even, prepare to be shocked, occasionally have her sleep beside me. And I don't feel the need to assert my dominance as I would in a classroom. She is after all a newborn, not an adult. This is a phase. And she won't want to breastfeed forever (though I will, brace yourself for the hippie card, breastfeed my baby for as long as she wants). I am convinced she won't want to sleep on my chest when she is eighteen, nor will she want to sleep in my bed with me when she is thirteen.

And really, I don't want advice (though you can of course give it if you so choose). I'm just sharing.

What's my point? There are millions of ways to raise a baby and I'm trying to figure our way out, with this precious little chunk of love napping on my chest.

Peace out homies,

5 comments:

Christi said...

That's exactly how it should be. I think we all have to figure out exactly what works best for us...I've heard it said that people are excellent parents and give the best advice until they actually give birth to a child. I think, in the end, what really matters is that we love our kids the best we can and trust God to guide us to raise them. Isn't being a mom the most humbling and awesome experience?

Brandon and April said...

love it all. i have some advice...just keep doing it all!! every bit of it that you love and feel inclined to do, do it!! when salem was a newborn, he occasionally slept in our bed, and while EVERY book I'd read said that it was a no-no, it worked for us at the time. And now looking back, I'm sooooo glad I did. Not because of the extra hours of sleep it got me, but because I miss those days when he longed to just be next to me to sleep. Those days pass too quickly!!

Jennifer Mykytiuk said...

After Madeline was born I didn't know anything about those books until people started talking to me about schedules. I was stressed. I bought all of them, read them, and don't remember a thing. Whatever we did worked... And, I slept holding Madeline for at least the first two weeks because that was how she'd sleep. And I still take naps with her for me own selfish reasons because you're right, they aren't gonna wanna sleep with you when they're a teenager. Oh, those newborn snuggles are the BEST! I didn't use our moby at first- that is a good idea! will have to with baby #2!

Melissa Espinosa said...

Good for you! You need not make any apologies for your decisions as a parent! God placed that sweet little baby in your family because he knew you guys would be the best parents for her. Keep it up!

The Reeds said...

Thanks guys for your comments. It's such a crazy journey to take. I'm glad God makes babies so precious!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...