May 8, 2011

It's Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day.

A day to thank all of the women who have the heart of a mother, who reach out to nurture and care.

Because having a baby grow in your womb, alone does not make you a mother.

But the caring, the singular, focused obsession with the care of another- this makes you a mother.

Mother's Day isn't a day set aside only for those who have reproduced, but for those who have again and again sat aside their own desires for the good of another. Sometimes casting off their own dreams, ambitions and wants to nurture one who is helpless and needs direction and love.

I thank you my mother, my mom, not just for carrying me within you, and protecting me when I was a helpless newborn babe, needy and demanding...

but for loving me when I was unlovable, not wanting to be protected, yet needy and demanding.

You have shown me what being a mother means.

Happy Mother's Day to you all~

1 comment:

Jen said...

What a beautiful post about your mom! Hope your day was wonderful mother-to-be!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...