January 28, 2011

Step Away From the Vacuum...

Thank you all so much for your kind comments!

I'm definitely on the road to recovery. It's been a week of discovery and ups and downs. Like discovering I, at first, couldn't bend down and pick up things I'd dropped and sitting on couches and realizing I had to wait helplessly until Jacob came by to help me out of that spot.

But now I'm better. I can pick up things (either with an awkward squat or with the aid of my feet), and I can get up from most seats even without arm rails. I'm growing.

Yesterday was the first day that I took off my jammies and ventured to put on real clothes. Only because I had to, mind you, for a doctor's appointment. But I did it. And it didn't hurt. And I felt like a real person.

Sitting in  a silent house with no cable, and unable to nap (those laying down positions are out of the question and we have no reclining chairs), I have heard the birds chirping.

It's a small thing. Geese honk overhead. Sparrows tweet in the backyard. And it's all still.

School for me is an all or nothing affair. It's a vacuum that sucks me in mid-August and spits me out, bedraggled and snaggle-toothed come June 1.  Phone calls go unmade, hobbies unattended, friends unvisited. It's a vacuum, I tell you, and one in which I can't hear the sounds of birds chirping and friends laughing on the outside. For two weeks I've been plucked from the vacuum, albeit painfully, and have been forced to sit in the stillness.

During the school year, entire days go by where I don't hear birds chirping and I literally don't see the sun. No balance. Jacob swears it's only teaching. That in other jobs people have some balance. And maybe it's only teaching AND ME. Because other people teach and seem to have some balance.

So as I regain my physical balance, I also feel a little regain of another balance as well.

Do you ever get to step away from the vacuum?

3 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

I LOVE that you're feeling better. Mike and I have so been thinking of you and praying for you and Jacob and your sweet baby. Do you mind sending me your email address? I have a little somethin' somethin' for you.

Lindsey said...

Totally unrelated: After your post about the Ultimate Puppy Toolkit, I put it on my wish list on PaperbackSwap and I GOT it the other day. We have NO plans to get a dog in the near future AT ALL (I already have enough creatures to potty train) but when we do, it would be awesome to train the dog well.

They're out of print, you know. Seeing the prices for them on Amazon definitely makes it tempting to sell our copy but I don't think we will. :)

Thanks!

The Reeds said...

Emily, Thank you so so much for all of your kind comments. It's really meant a lot!!

And Lindsey, I'm SO glad you got it! Wise investment! When we returned from Africa I looked for over a year for it. It's so user friendly and great for kids (in my opinion). Why in the world is it out of print I wonder? :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...