August 2, 2010

Akakai /"My home"

Today I walked into the back garage door loaded down with an assortment of bags and sighed. Our home smelled clean. Does it always smell that clean? Probably not. But it felt like home after a long time away.

Akakai. My home.

We flew 8 hours from Entebbe to Amsterdam. It was nighttime. I looked out the window at one point and saw a strand of lights in a sea of darkness far below. On the flight tracker it showed us over Egypt. I imagined the lives in full bloom below.

A bit later I looked out the window as we flew over Zagreb to see lightning strikes below us. A huge lightning storm. Everyone on the plane slept as best they could, played games quietly, watched movies, with their windows tightly closed. I peered down and prayed. Hard.

We landed in Amsterdam and searched out flat places to try and sleep for a few hours before our final leg and at last the 10 hours to the United States. We landed and the air that slapped us in the face was hot and dry.

I drove to my sister's house and fell on her bed and woke up twelve hours later in the fetal position and still in the clothes I put on more than 50 hours before when we checked out of our hotel.

Then I drove five hours to home. My home.

We had a good trip. Everyone was safe. Thank you for your prayers. I am a mix of emotions. There's much to process and then to share.

I have a lot to catch up on. But for now I'll leave you with a pretty image or two.

God bless,

5 comments:

Allison said...

yaaaaaaaay, you're home. love the 2 pix, makes my heart twinge to return...been praying for you guys and will continue to as you process the time away.
LOVE YOU.
ali

Brandon and April said...

the pictures are incredible. seriously awesome.
selfishly...I'm glad you're home. I've missed your writing. :)
can't wait to hear more.

kristinbednarz said...

I'm so glad you're back! YEAH! So glad. And someone has been filled up, I dare say. Filled up beyond capacity just a bit and spilling over? But filled, I pray.

I can't wait to see what you saw through the lens!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are both such a blessing.as y show the world love.Please know the world loves you back.Georgia you capture such beauty and emotion Thank you...Both of you are so special>>>love both of you but am glad your home!!!

glenda said...

anonymous is me mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...