June 23, 2010

Trust and Obey

"Trust and obey, for there is no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey..."

The old hymn definitely had it right.

As a child I sang the song, thankful for simple lyrics that I could remember. Thankful that it was such an easy principle I could so easily master.

As the years moved between then and now, that hymn became more elusive.

Trust. Oh Lord but how?

Obey. Oh Lord, but the price is high...

Is it any wonder God calls us to a child like faith?

Today I began reading Leviticus. I always pray hard through a number of the first books. The Law is a strain for me. All of the perfect sacrifices overwhelm me. My sin grows larger and larger in my own eyes until I feel that I may be overtaken.

God requires a perfect sacrifice, yet Jesus was the perfect sacrifice for us.


But we still are called to sacrifice... our lives... our comfort...our own desires.

It's a hard pill to swallow.

Eagerly accepting Christ's death for me...
Then realizing that I must die to myself everyday for him.

It is a narrow path and at times lonely.

We find ourselves alone, over and over in the garden of Gethsemane crying out, Oh Lord take this cup from me.

He requires our best sacrificed to him.

Our best time, given to others...
Our youth, that strains and pulls for wild abandonment, must be sacrificed in trusting a God the world does not claim, and obeying no matter the cost.

It's easy to type, but hard to live out in the different fields he calls us to. It's easy to grasp now, but hard when I felt the chafing loneliness of Kaabong and longed for internet, mail, cafes and friends.  Hard when our health and well-being were at risk...


The cost Lord, it seems so high and dear to me.

And there in the silence the spirit whispers, my grace is sufficient.

Oh Lord! Yes I know that but!


My grace is sufficient... 

For all the buts I may throw his way, His grace is sufficient.

When we were children, counting the cost was easy. Whole numbers that were small.

As we grow older, counting the cost becomes more complicated. Fractions and what ifs, divided by the square roots of what everyone expects us to be and what being successful looks like.. even in the churches' eyes.

When we were children "the path was narrow" but there were kind adults to lead the way and other children excitedly singing with us and the way was decorated with felt lambs and rainbows.

As we grow older, the crowd parts and we find ourselves alone, at night, in a foreign land, crying for home.

When we were children, home was down the street. It was our family. Our dog.

As we grow older, home becomes a place we've never visited in a heaven with a God we entrust with our lives.

Today I read some encouraging words I wanted to share with you.

Streams in the Desert Daily Devotional Journal  June 23

  When Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.  But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord save me.
Matthew 14:39-30

 Peter had a little faith in the midst of his doubts, says Bunyan; and so with crying and coming he was brought to Christ.
     But here you see that sight was a hindrance; the waves were none of his business when once he had set out; all Peter had any concern with, was the pathway gleaming across the darkness from where Christ stood.  If it was tenfold Egypt beyond that, Peter had no call to look and see.
     When the Lord shall call to you over the waters, "Come," step gladly forth.  Look not for a moment away from Him.
     Not by measuring the waves can you prevail;  not by gauging the wind will you grow strong; to scan the danger may be to fall before it; to pause at the difficulties, is to have them break above your head.  Lift up your eyes unto the hills, and go forward- there is no other way.

Dost thou fear to launch away? 
Faith lets go to swim!
Never will He let thee go;
'Tis by trusting thou shalt know
Fellowship with Him.


“When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”- Corrie Ten Boom

God bless,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...