June 14, 2010

OKC and the value of Prayer

Hi all!

It's me again. On days when I don't know what to write and haven't uploaded pictures in a very long time I just freeze. It's like you and I are on a blind date and I really want to impress you since you drove all this way to hang out with me and you're buying me lobster, but I have no idea who you are.

Eh... That's awkward.

Sometimes I don't know what to say. There. I said it.

So I'm just going to post in all of my imperfections. Oh, you didn't know I was imperfect? Well... Sorry. I am. I really really am.

My summer days have been wonderful. I've committed to giving the first part of my days to the Lord. At home it's looked like me sitting with my coffee, Bible, journal and devotional for an undisclosed amount of time, as the chimes blow in the wind and the birds chirp. It almost feels like Africa.

We went to Oklahoma City this weekend to meet a stellar couple. That's what is amazing about the family of God. It can compel you to drive hours and hours to hang out with people you've never met and to stay up for hours on end feeling completely known. That's the body of Christ. And it feels good. It feels really really good.

So good in fact I didn't pull out either of the two cameras I carried with me. Because I was too busy "being". And that's always great.

Exercise wise I'm a slug. But that's hardly important in light of the family of God now is it?

Our new friends, who I'm sure you will hear more about some day, sent us off with a mind blowing cd to listen to. Charles L. Culpepper recounting great revival in China. We listened to is as we flew down the highway in silence. Being chilled, inspired and convicted. If you can get your hands on it then you certainly should.

This summer God has been laying on my heart the value of prayer.

I read this devotional two weeks ago and keep coming back to it.

From Streams in the Dessert June 6th.  Enjoy.
Watch unto prayer.
1 Peter 4:7

     Go not, my friend, into the dangerous world without prayer.  You kneel down at night to pray, drowsiness weighs down your eyelids; a hard day's work is a kind of excuse, and you shorten your prayer, and resign yourself softly to repose.  The morning breaks; and it may be you rise late, and so your early devotions are not done, or are done with irregular haste.
     No watching unto prayer! Wakefulness once more omitted; and now is that reparable?  We solemnly believe not.
     There has been that done which cannot be undone.  You have given up your prayer, and you will suffer for it.
     Temptation is before you, and you are not ready to meet it.  There is a guilty feeling on the soul, and you linger at a distance from God.  It is no marvel if that day in which you suffer drowsiness to interfere with prayer be a day in which you shrink from duty.
     Moments of prayer intruded on by sloth cannot be made up.  We may get experience, but we cannot get back the rich freshness and strength which were wrapped up in those moments.
                                                                                                    Frederick W. Robertson

     If Jesus, the strong Son of God, felt it necessary to risk before the breaking of the day to pour out His heart to God in prayer, how much more ought you to pray unto Him who is the giver of every good and perfect gift, and who has promised all things necessary for our good.
     What Jesus gathered into His life from his prayers we can never know; but this we do know, that the prayerless life is a powerless life.  A prayerless life may be a noisy life, and fuss around a great deal; but such a life is far removed from Him who, by day and night, prayed to God.


May we find ourselves more in prayer,

7 comments:

Rookie Gardeners said...

I was in your hometown one weekend and missed you and then you were in mine and missed me. My mom and I, and the kids visited Aloha BBQ, yum. Had plans to visit Cake but forgot in the business of being with all my family.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

The Reeds said...

Sorry we missed each other Amy! And thanks anonymous!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this so that I can hear it again. The truth from these quotes cut so deeply and encourage so richly. Love You my Sister in love.

The Reeds said...

Thanks sweet seesta. what a beautiful time of growth.. More more more please.

glenda said...

sorry I did not figure out how to put my nane till now mom!

The Reeds said...

Good job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...