January 21, 2009

I've missed it...

Not to sound trite or lame (as though I have a choice), but I've really missed running, and it's been impossibly hard to get back in a routine after two years. Ugh.

And now that I'm FINALLY moving on to week 4 of Robert Ullrey's Couch Potato to 5k (In MANY more than three weeks might I add)- I can say how much I've missed it.

Even at the height of being in shape in high school and even after- I've never been a "big winner". I'm just a particpator. And when I know I'm not competing or being compared- I simply love the feeling.

The way your thoughts fall into place when you're busy breathing, putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward; when you're alone with the sound of your footfalls and the world around you. I LOVE it.

Now if only I can keep doing it.

As this blog has bumped around in my head (while running), other memories surfaced of some of my favorite runs... I had one or two parks in Prague that I loved (and will always always miss) running in. I loved runs in Europe where the seasons blazed around me in vivid color and dramatics. And I also loved my runs in high school- on a flat long country road where I could be alone with my thoughts.. It's a shame I didn't feel I could run in Kaabong. Through that dry spell I began to feel that running is a luxury. I'm thankful for that luxury. Though I do it in part to burn calories, I'm thankful for the extra calories that make it a necessity.. You get the idea. Good memories. Here's to more...

3 comments:

Jennifer Mykytiuk said...

I always think my thoughts sound so much more put together while I'm running. I love listening to loud Praise music like David Crowder and- if I know no one is around- belting it out with him as I run. My favorite run- run along Hwy 1 between Big Sur and Carmel. Talk about inspiring! Keep running on.

miker said...

What about those midnight runs at the WBU bowl with a few of your favorite FMT girls?

Leslie Merrell said...

Oh my word! It's like we have the same mind...I'm planning to run a 5K at the end of February and a 10K at the end of April! I must say that you are doing much better at training than I am. I'm just happy that I actually set a goal for myself! We'll see how it all pans out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...