April 13, 2008

Keepin' it real 101

We've turned 100! The last blog was our hundredth. I realize that means little more than the fact that I've spent way too much time typing... But it's still somehow feels like we've accomplished something. Like when you complete the laundry or the dishes and you stand for one quiet moment, basking in the wonderfulness of all you've done, and you secretly expect (or hope) to hear applause from some hidden audience...

I digress.

So we've blogged a lot, and it's all been about Karamoja. Heading back home soon is causing a bit of a mini-identity crisis. Who will we be when we're not here? Listening for gunfire, dreaming of meat and cheese, and dealing with some major culture gaps have become our comfort zone.

Like, will we know who we are when we can shower and change clothes (and even the colour of clothes) on a regular basis? Will we recognize eachother or wind up dazed and confused in a Wal-Mart parking lot- not saying "Where did I park? Where's my car?" but rather, "Where's my spouse? What shirt did he/she put on TODAY?! I forgot!!! Can anyone help me?..."... And will we have friends or will we become the people that waltz into a room followed by a hush and whispered "Don't invite them over- they forget to flush."? Exhibit A:

Kampala is a black hole that sucks away my time and sanity. I don't manage so well here. First of all it's a bombardment of cars honking, electricity and all the water you want. And there's tv. I've prided myself on not being a big tv person. But doing 'without'- or rather 'without' the option- makes something very desirable. Like when you're favorite restaurant quits offering an item- then you NEED that item. You know? Well... the satellite tv here at the Big BM offers a few channels- one which really makes my brain cells run for cover: The Style network. So I've gone from one of the furthest edges of 3rd world to staring in a trance (probably drooling in a near coma-like state) at women running frantically through a mall (I don't even like malls) trying to buy an outfit like a model for under a certain price in under a certain time frame...

Maybe it's 'easing' me into a frame of mind that works for home... (Coma? That's not encouraging). I'm praying that God helps me stay grounded- regardless of what culture, and even local culture I'm in.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...