April 2, 2008

If these trees could talk...


When I was a child on Ave. Q- I had two neighbors who practically lived up a tree with me. We read books, had our 'own limbs', and generally lived in a wonderful world of make believe. We also happened to live down the street, from the elementary play ground. But still we loved those big trees most of all.

The other day coming home there were children playing on these huge beautiful fig trees by the borehole. Every time I pass this way I get a little lost in my own thoughts, the scent of eucalyptus trees mingled with something like dill fills the air, and the cool shade is a welcome change from the harsh 'elsewhere' all around. These children were taking turns climbing on to the massive limbs while another child hung from the limbs and pulled the others up and down- that child's tiny little body becoming weightless for a few seconds before coming back to earth- like a one-sided see-saw. They giggled and waved and for a split second the teacher in me began to panic about safety regulations and the dangers involved. I don't know which side was more fun to be on- up on the limb- holding on for dear life, or down under, letting the momentum carry you upward. What fun... If only these trees could talk.

1 comment:

Zola said...

This is great info to know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...