March 1, 2008

Don't Worry Be Happy

While Jacob is in Kampala I'm staying with some friends. It worked out pefectly that M.A. needed a little help and that I would be alone. So voila. Here I am. The tukals the M.A. staff sleep in are incredibly quiet. I'm used to hearing lizards scurrying across the tin, the 'BANG BANG BANG!" of birds pecking grasshoppers loudly on our roof, or the "pop tat rat tat" of our roof itself popping as the sun comes up. My first week in Karamoja I thought I kept hearing gun fire when instead the sun had come out from behind a cloud and the tin was heating up. I wasn't overly nervous or distracted.. However, in retrospect, I heard gunfire everywhere and then actually slept through when there was gunfire. This is a pleasant change. The silence of grass over head...

That being said, I am used to being able to turn on a light. True we don't have unlimited power, or lights in every room we can always turn on- but we do have 'direct power' to the battery from our solar panels even when our inverter is not turned on. I'm not used to having to use a lantern or a flashlight/torch all the time.
Speaking of power, Jacob has packed up his baby. The wind generator that is. We got the generator about a year ago from Bob in Nakapiripirit. And we loooove the wind generator. So much in fact that we're taking it to America with us. When you hear the 'whiiiirrrr' of power it just makes you feel all warm inside. And in completely random news (which seems to be my sepcialty), here is a picture of the outcome of our 'GINORMOUS' egg a couple of months ago. Jacob went to fry them up and there we recieved a happy reminder to "Don't Worry Be Happy". Completely by accident mind you. Seems our huge egg was an egg with message...


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...