February 7, 2008

The view from here

Hi all! We have limited time on the internet so this will be short. We've only been in for almost a week now but it's been one of 'those' weeks. I was tempted to find a picture of a dung beetle at work to show how I feel but decided against it.

Life here always brings to mind a word for me: incessant. It's a word I don't think of a lot at other times- but I do here. Incessant begging, surrounding and calling. Jacob says it's like this place can be like running head on into a brick wall and having the air knocked out of you. Some days are like that. Monday was that way for me...

Trail home from Lopelipel
BUT in other news, there were some beautiful things. Amidsts the hardships and cruelty of just 'being' here- there is the beauty. As we drove from the aistrip I was struck by how dry the land is now. The grass has gone from being starkly dry, brittle and yellow- to being almost white. Like snow... There on the side of the road with a huge herd of cattle was a little boy, no taller than the backside of the smallest cow. Standing alone in the middle of no where with a little blanket flapping in the wind. And in that moment I'm besotted. Karamoja can be enchanting.. It can take your heart.. (And then smack you into a brick wall.)


We went to Lopelipel this Wednesday and did the first ever Training of children- and it was wonderful. It was cool and overcast which made for great walking weather. Here are as many pictures as I can download in this time frame...


2 comments:

Mary said...

Your life there is very compelling. You need a strong mind, courage, and a soft heart all at once? My goodness. I commend you.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying extra for encouragment for you both! Wish you could have been here for Kristin's wedding.
Heather

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...