February 28, 2008

Ka-PONG

The many faces of Kaabong.

I can't believe how many people we've come to know and then said good bye to here. Kat left this past week, and Sahar is leaving next week. How sad! We got to go over to MSF for a little table tennis action last week. There's nothing like ping pong kaabong style. Or as I like to call it- Ka-PONG. I was trully awful. Miguel beat me on his knees playing with the 'bat' or 'raqueta' in his wrong hand.. what does that tell you? I like to think the wind was against me....
They have a stellar view from MSF. Here you can see how dusty it's been.
In other news- today I broke up my first ever in-class fight. The wind was howling, as usual, and there were two teachers on the entire premises- but loads of kids running around screaming, fighting, etc. I was teaching P7 (grade 6). However, Grade 6 here has mainly 15-18 year olds, though I'm guessing at ages as many of them may not even know. We were doing a lesson on adjectives and I was having them describe one another. One boy described another as having six fingernails.... uh.. yeah... That's when the fists came out.

Then to calm them down I asked them to describe me. Big mistake. The first descriptions were, brown (I've never been called that!) and that I have a 'big head'.... At that point I thought it was safe to move on to other, safer, less emotionally crippling activities...

2 comments:

robin williams said...

this one totally made me giggle... i don't really know why, but the thought the "brown, big-headed" teacher breaking up some fighting boys is very comical! i'd hate to ask them to describe me!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see teenagers are the same everywhere you go! They sound about as nice as some that I work with! :)

Heather

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...