July 12, 2007

White Water Rafting on the Nile!

What an experience!!
Has anyone ever read "Murder on the Nile" or something of the sort by Agatha Christie?? Well... yesterday felt about like that!

Okay.. so I don't go OUT of my way to scare people I love.. but I think I've outdone myself.. While we were in Jinja we went white water rafting on the Nile... Veronika wasn't totally up for it but we talked her into it with the idea that "we wouldn't flip".. and we didn't want to - honestly.. but our sneaky (and can I say mean?) guide had other plans. A friend summed it up rather well "it's like being in a washing machine". I'll be honest, it was scary!
We went over a number of grade 5's and Michelle got sucked into the base of a waterfall.. Picture- me freaking out in one of those "slap her into her senses" way watching Michelle getting sucked into the torrent as I stand in the raft screaming "Michelle!! Michelle! Michelleeeee!!!" at the top of my lungs. Finally the guide turned to me and screamed at me "STOP!!!".. but honestly...I saw HER life flash before my eyes and it wasn't fun.. Then at that same time there was Veronika bobbing out there gasping desperately for air amidst the current.. To not want to flip she sure was out there a lot. Our guide told us about "Nile Tattoos".. meaning huge bruises from rafting.. And Vernika has the BIGGEST blackest bruise on her arm from flying out of the raft and hitting rocks. We flipped front over back, sideways.. every which way.. Scary! I don't need to do that again.. ever. We obviously couldn't take our cameras and we were of course much too cheap to pay for the video of us gasping for air and screaming every which way... so I've snagged these pics of the same rapids off of the website of the company we went with... I honestly think our flips had to be worse... Ay- yay yay!
This is a shot from where we had dinner overlooking the river.. beautiful.. It looks serene and gentle.. but oh it's not! Note the rapids to the middle right of the pic.


6 comments:

Leslie said...

That was an excellent description! I could see the whole thing going down...(that's my ghetto talk; I'll keep working on it) Say hello to all - love and miss you guys very much!

Anonymous said...

Sounds Scary - Be careful! What am I? Your mother? No but I am A mother and if my child told me that story, I'd freak.
Okay - so I just checked my emails to see where you were and where I should send emails when I came across this blog info. Guess I didn't pay attention the first time. Apologies. So jealous of Michelle and Veronika coming to visit.
Love Love - Abby

Anonymous said...

I just left a message and isn't showing. So - this is a test.

Anonymous said...

are you moderating my messages?

Robin Williams said...

That sounds crazy scary but AWESOME!

Martha Schmidt-Nakiru said...

We went rafting ONE time. Never again! Elaine Pierce and I got out at the 'kids' stopping point with our two young kids then...Abbie and Michael. We were so glad. Bruce (my husband) really thought he was drowning in one flip! Wild and Crazy! WE DID THAT...AND GOT THE T-SHIRT.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...